Tuesday 3 February 2009

Food for Thought

Those of you that know me well will know that when it comes to food I tend not to be the most adventurous. Italian, Mexican, some Chinese and of course traditional Irish – that's been my palette, no more, no less, for the past six years or so (before that the range was even smaller). People had been telling me how jealous they were that I'd get to eat real Indian food, but Indian food never agreed with my taste buds. Pizza was my staple diet. I still ate like a student before I left.

All that had to change with this trip. I would have to try new foods, or else starve. For a while I considered starving, then decided that this had too many drawbacks. Strange foreign food it was.

A week in, and I'm very proud of myself. You can get pizzas and such in a lot of places, but I've stuck to Indian. I've tried everything on the menu, and liked a lot of it. A lot. It's delicious, healthy, cheap and filling. Even the (spoiler alert) campfire-cooked meal in the desert was outstanding. Perfect backpacking food. And not a Delhi belly in sight.



I might venture to the Indian restaurants a little more often once this jaunt is over. More gastronomic musings when we hit Nepal.

No comments:

Post a Comment