Sunday 8 March 2009

Scam City

Strolling down the Varanasi ghats in the sun, John and I came across Gearóid, who had wandered ahead earlier, face down getting a traditional Indian massage. Spotting me observing my friend, I was targeted instantly by another massager with an adjacent table.

Before I could even say no he was massaging my head and hands. I said no to a full body massage, even at 250 rupees, but he insisted that it would be much cheaper. What followed was 30 minutes or so of discomfort, sometimes pain. Then at the end he insisted on 500 rupees. I said no way, and as I argued with him he tried to keep massaging me, with a few of his onlooking mates in my field of vision. I had to fight him off. Another bloody scam. I paid 400 in the end. Gearóid and John were happy with their massages, but I was incensed. Between our farcical arrival and now this, Varanasi was not leaving a good impression on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment