Monday 9 March 2009

It Had to Happen Some Time

I was delighted to get through India without once suffering the dreaded Delhi belly. I was under the impression that once I got past there then the food would be cleaner and safer. I'm not sure where I got this impression from, because it was completely wrong. Nepal is even worse than India for food hygiene.

I'm sorry to say I have first hand experience. My time in Pokhara was ruined by illness. This really grated me, because when you have such a fantastic place outside your room door, it's incredibly frustrating to be stuck behind it. I spent a lot of time pointlessly pondering what had caused my uncomfortable state, but it really could have been anything. Poor GearĂ³id had a bad case of it too.

I hadn't felt well ever since the bus journey to Pokhara. The first night I just felt under the weather, the second day I felt the same. I even felt a little better after a relaxing kayaking session out on the lake. But the third day it was full on keep close to the bathroom sickness. By that stage I was sick of being sick. I had picked up some Indian strength prescription only pills over the counter (!) in Delhi (I had heard that Ireland doesn't have anything strong enough). They worked. Be careful what you eat in Nepal.

Is food hygiene as dodgy in China?.

3 comments:

  1. Incidentally, my illness is the main reason why I took so few pictures in Pokhara, I wish I had taken more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam, Letizia here, Brendan's wife. I am really enjoying your travel stories, you have put India on my map for a next trip!
    Food hygiene can be dodgy in China but if yoy stick to cooked, hot, food and boil any water you put in your mouth you should be OK. Most hostels provide you with a kettle in the room. We never picked up anything.
    Good luck and keep posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the praise and advice Letizia! I'll just have to stick to being cautious.

    ReplyDelete