Thursday 2 April 2009

There's No Way They'll Stay Open That Late

Sim's Cozy Guesthouse was recommended to me by someone who had toured China last year, so it became our first Chinese base. Straight away the atmosphere within it's big gates seemed different to the empty shells we had been occupying in India and Nepal. Finally, a proper hostel, with dorms and communal areas and even other guests!

There was no time to enjoy that yet though, it was our first night in China, and more important matters were at hand. Manchester United were playing Liverpool, and there was an Irish pub in town that I was certain would be showing it. I know some of you are probably gasping in frustration at why I'd want to watch a soccer match when I've just arrived in a great new country, but I also know those of you who know me well won't be one bit surprised.

We arrived at the Shamrock, and they were showing it, and I watched it, and United got thumped 4-1, and then I wished I hadn't watched it. Such is soccer. There was also a crucial Ireland versus Scotland rugby game on, but that wasn't starting until 1.30am local time, leading to John to utter the now infamous phrase “there's no way they'll stay open that late for the game”.



Jump forward to 4am, and you have the sight of a small gang of Irish goading the Scottish owner of the bar after an Irish victory, the beer still flowing. Back home, no drink is served after 2am, and things tend to shut down around 10pm in India and Nepal, so we weren't used to being served alcohol this late at all!

John and myself ended up drinking whiskey back at the extremely plush apartment of a Dubliner (who was working in Chengdu) named Eoghan. The next morning (afternoon) we woke in an empty living room, left the apartment quietly and wondered out into the suburbia, in a new country, in a new city, massively hungover and with no idea where we were. After showing a poor taxi driver with no English our hostel in the book, he took us to where the book indicated. It turns out Sim's Cozy Guesthouse had moved to a new location a couple of months ago, and my 2007 Lonely Planet showed the old location. Luckily, on the gate there was a piece of paper with Mandarin characters, which we chanced showing to the cab driver. He seemed to understand, and ten minutes later I was in my hostel bed for the first time, wondering if every night in China would be like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment