Saturday 31 January 2009

Ready, Steady, Delhi!

Where do I begin? Well, for those of you who were wondering whether we made it to India at all, I can assure you we're very much here. We're here, and we've already made good progress into northern India, with two cities down already. The first, our arrival port, and by far the biggest city we'll visit in India, was Delhi.

Circumstances meant I had a large amount of euro on me (€220) that I was unable to lodge before I flighted from Ireland, so I thought it'd be a good idea to get that changed into Indian rupees at the airport. I asked the cashier for “a few” small notes. I ended up getting a stack of notes thicker than the bible. Feeling like a millionaire (and a pickpocket's dream), I re-joined my fellow backpackers (John and GearĂ³id – you'll be hearing those names quite a bit) and we made for the city centre.

We arrived in India on Republic Day – one of two secular national holidays here – which was a big mistake. Not because everything was closed (enough was open to get by), but because we missed out on the huge parade through Delhi in the morning that has everything from elephants to nuclear missiles on show. It also meant our airport pick-up driver from the hostel was not in a good mood (no festivities for him either). He got us there in one piece though, and gave us our first thrilling impression of Indian driving. More on that in a later post..

No comments:

Post a Comment